Are you, along with many others, on a January ‘health kick’? Or maybe (like me) you’re trying out the 5:2 diet (reduced eating on 2 days out of 7, unrestricted eating on the other 5) and looking for inspiration for those 500 calorie days? Look no further, here is a super quick (10 minute!) raw vegan bean salad, which is super fresh and healthy. Don’t let the name deceive you though, it’s anything but boring! It tastes just like your favorite fajita filling, but without the carb-slump. The great thing about this recipe being raw is that the serving is huge, and you’ll definitely be getting in your daily serving of veggies, as well as a high protein content for good measure.
500 Calorie Spicy Bean Salad
- 1 can kidney beans
- 1 can black beans
- 1 can sweetcorn
- 2 medium carrots
- 1 large red bell pepper
- 1 medium red onion
- 2 large handfuls kale
- Handful cilantro
- 4 spring onions
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- half fresh lemon
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
- To taste salt and pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon chilli powder
1. Drain the tins of beans and sweetcorn.
2. Wash and chop the carrots, pepper, kale, cilantro and spring onions.
3. Dice the onion.
4. Mix all prepared ingredients together into a bowl.
5. For the dressing: juice the 1/2 lemon, and mix together with the olive oil and apple cider vinegar.
6. Add the cumin, chilli powder, paprika and salt and pepper to the dressing. Mix well.
7. Pour the dressing over the salad. Garnish with extra cilantro. Enjoy!
Optional extra: For that ‘cheesy’ flavour, add a little sprinkle of nutritional yeast!
Get more like this—Sign up for our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Dr. Kirstie Fleetwood