As someone who has never been in any serious relationship on Valentine’s Day, the “holiday” has devolved into more of a self-care day than anything else as far as I’m concerned. It’s an excuse to eat copious amounts of chocolate, sit in the bath for too long, coat myself in essential oil, watch whatever guilty pleasure television I want, and obviously treat myself to some fine dining.
I don’t need my food to be fancy; I prefer it made with love–which these mini pancakes certainly are. Also called pikelets, these mini cakes are the ideal breakfast/dessert combo for your V-Day feast. They are super simple to make and stuffed full of coconut cream and fresh strawberries. They’re so cute–they would make Strawberry Shortcake proud–and so delicious that you don’t need to share them with anyone but yourself. (Unless you really want to, in which case half a serving can feed two not-so-hungry people.) Whoever you serve these little cakes to will be reminded that the way to someone’s heart truly is through their stomach.
Strawberry Shortcake Pancakes
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter, melted
- 1/4 cup quinoa flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup soy milk
- 1 tablespoon agave syrup
- 1/4 cup coconut cream (refrigerated overnight)
- 1/2 cup fresh strawberries
1. Place vegan butter in small mixing bowl.
2. Sift together flour and baking soda; then add butter.
3. Slowly stir in the milk and then agave, mixing until smooth.
4. Place a non-stick skillet over high heat.
5. Once hot, drop pancake batter onto skillet, 1 tablespoon at a time.
6. When you see color and a few bubbles start to form around the bottom of each pancake, flip with spatula.
7. Repeat the process on the other side, and continue until all batter is used.
8. Place coconut cream in a separate bowl and beat with a whisk until fluffy.
9. Thinly slice all but 5 strawberries and set aside.
10. To assemble, place a pancake on a plate, spread top with coconut cream, place strawberry slices on top, then cover with another pancake.
11. Continue until all pancakes are used.
12. To finish, top each cake sandwich with one more dollop of coconut cream and one of the remaining whole strawberries.
Also by Quincy: Vegan and Gluten-Free Spinach and Ricotta Gnudi
Related: Gluten-Free Vegan Bundt Cake
Get more like this—Subscribe to our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photos: Quincy Malesovas