I’m kind of an avocado toast addict. Well, OK, I’m kind of an avocado everything addict, but I’ll be specific for the sake of this recipe. Ever since I smashed avocado on my first piece of toast, there’s been no looking back.
I love coming up with new combinations to add to my avocado toast library, and this is my new favorite. In this avo toast, sweet apple and maple are balanced out by the richness of toasted walnuts and avocado. Hemp hearts add extra protein, and microgreens pack in vitamins!
If you haven’t tried avocado on your toast yet, you need to. But not until you get the recipe below! This combination is sure to make you an avocado toast enthusiast even if you’ve been on the fence about spreading that green stuff all over your bread.
A trick I learned, and which I share in the recipe notes below, is to squeeze a bit of lemon and a dash of sea salt directly into the avocado before scooping it out. It adds flavor while making the flesh easier to scoop out and smash onto the bread.
I usually enjoy my avocado toast as a quick breakfast, but I’ve also been known to whip it out for a snack or even as an entrée. The possibilities are endless! I hope you love this combination as much as I do.
Maple Walnut Avocado Toast with Apple
- 2 slices toasted bread
- 1 mashed avocado
- 1/2 apple, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons toasted walnuts
- handful microgreens (optional)
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon hemp hearts
- 1/2 squeezed lemon
- Himalayan Sea Salt
1. Preheat oven to 350°F and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Add walnuts to the pan and bake for 8-10 minutes, until lightly browned and fragrant.
2. While the walnuts are baking, prepare your toast ingredients. Thinly slice one apple (I prefer Opal, Honeycrisp, or Pink Lady) and toss with lemon juice if waiting to assemble to prevent from browning. Score your avocado with a knife, squeezing lemon juice into each half and add a dash of Himalayan sea salt and set aside.
3. When walnuts are done, assemble your toast by scooping out avocado flesh and smashed onto the toast with a fork. Top with sliced apples, toasted walnuts, and a drizzle of maple syrup. Garnish with hemp hearts and microgreens if desired.
Also by Lauren: Gluten-Free Butternut Squash Pesto Pizza
Related: Cream Cheese Stuffed French Toast
Get more like this—Subscribe to our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photos: Lauren Kirchmaier