My friend Clara is an excellent baker. Every time I am at her apartment, there is either something in the oven, something that has just come out of the oven, or something that needs to be taste-tested. Recently, she made these amazing pumpkin cupcakes that kicked off pumpkin-flavored-everything season perfectly. As the weather starts to cool off, they pair perfectly with a cup of warm cider, chai, or mug of tea.
Clara’s Pumpkin Cupcakes
– 1/2 cup non dairy milk- I like soy
– 1/2 cup canola oil
– 2/3 cup canned pumpkin
– 1 t apple cider vinegar
– 1 t vanilla
– 1 t maple syrup
– 1 1/2 cup white flour
– 1/4 cup white sugar
– 1/3 cup brown sugar
– 1/2 t baking soda
– 1 t baking powder
– 1/2 t cinnamon
– 1/2 t cloves
– A sprinkle of ground ginger and pinch of salt
“Cream Cheese” Frosting
– 2 cups of confectioner’s sugar
– 1/2 cup of vegan butter
– 5 oz of vegan cream cheese
– Preheat oven to 350˚F, and line a muffin tin with muffin wrappers.
– Combine milk and vinegar in a small mixing bowl and let sit for ten minutes.
– Combine dry ingredients in bowl, and stir well.
– Combine remaining wet ingredients with the milk and vinegar mixture.
– Pour wet ingredients into dry and stir well. The batter should be thick but without lumps and dark orange in color.
– Spoon batter into muffin tin and place in oven. Bakes in 18-20 minutes, or as soon as a toothpick inserted into the middle of the muffin comes out clean.
– Remove from oven and let cool for at least half an hour.
– Let vegan butter sit at room temperature for at least an hour until it soft
– Combine in bowl with sugar and cream cheese
– Mix with an electric mixer until fully combined
Once cakes are cooled- frost liberally. If you are feeling extra fancy, sprinkle a small amount of cinnamon and nutmeg over the frosting. Enjoy outside with the first moments of Fall.
Also by Karina: What I’ve Learned Through a Long Distance Friendship
More pumpkin recipes: Heavenly Vegan Chocolate Pumpkin Pie
Photo: Karina Alexander