Trying to stay chic in the summertime is often no easy task. Humidity, heat, and unexpected thunderstorms can quickly turn a lovely hairdo into a hot (literally!) mess. What’s the best way to combat mother nature’s heat waves while still preserving your own waves? Hair barrettes, headbands and other styling trinkets!
Here are my favorite chic vegan and eco-friendly hair accessories that are perfect for the summertime!
1. Pink Organic Beaded Hair Barrette Clip by Terri Jean’s Adornments (Available on Etsy, $10.50 for one barrette and $15 for two)Why I love it: Perfect for holding back unruly side bangs or polishing off a fun, flirty updo, this silver and pink hair barrette is a must-have for summer. Made with organic acai seed beads (so cool, right?!), you can not only look good wearing this hair moment, but also feel good about your eco-friendly purchase.
2. Tiny Tulip Organic Cotton Turban Headband by Djuna Shay (available online, $24)
Why I love it: If you love wearing your hair in buns or top knots, this quirky, bright headband is the perfect way to jazz up your everyday hairstyle! This chic hair moment is made with certified 100% organic cotton and water-based pigment inks and without any chemicals in the printing and preparation processes.
3. Handmade Wooden Hair Clips (set of 5) by Modeling Hairstyles (available on Etsy, $7.46)
Why I love it: Definitely the most unique of my finds, these handmade wooden hair clips are sure to turn heads this summer! Handmade in the Ukraine (don’t worry, they ship worldwide!) from either apple-tree or walnut wood (depending on availability), these earthy clips will turn any ponytail into a bold style statement!
4. Recycled Eco-Friendly Vintage/Reclaimed Fabric Braided Headband (Customizable!) by Great Migration (available on Etsy, $8.00)
Why I love it: Wearing a plain plastic or cloth headband can get boring after awhile, so why not up your headband game with a multi-colored braided piece? The best part of these particular braided bands is that the you can choose from a wide range of reclaimed fabrics, which means finally having the perfect hair accessory for some of your most daring and bold outfits!
5. Lemon Yellow Crochet Flower Clip (fair trade & made from eco-friendly Buriti palm fiber) by Dsenyo (available on Etsy, $9.99) Also available in other colors!
Why I love it: Add this darling hair clip to a chic chignon or to your classic half-up half-down look to add a little flair! Available in several colors (this lemon yellow just screams summer to me!), these hair clips are 100% handmade in Northeastern Brazil using Buriti palm fiber (similar to raffia). Each purchase helps these artisans work their way out of poverty as Dsenyo works to create economic opportunity for these artisans and the women of Malawi, Africa, and Brazil.
What’s your favorite style accessory to help you beat the heat this summer?
More summer style and beauty ideas: Pretty Summer Vegan Nail Polishes
Summer Inspired Makeup Tutorial
7 Summer Style and Beauty Essentials
Get more like this—Subscribe to our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: respective brands; (cover photo) Djuna Shay