Shorts and bikini weather isn’t going anywhere anytime soon. You still have a chance to sculpt the summer body you’ve been wanting. By doing total body strengthening moves along with keeping a healthy diet, you can tone and sculpt your muscles in a short period of time.
Part of my postpartum journey is recovering the strength and muscle mass I lost during pregnancy. Not being able to lay on my stomach or rotate through my torso limited my movement. Now, 4 months postpartum, I’m able to do all the exercises I used to do. The only problem is I don’t have the strength I had before and going to the gym is much harder with an infant. Working out at home with bodyweight only exercises is easiest and can be just as effective as going to the gym. This workout includes some of my favorite sculpting moves that will give you full body definition.
1. Double Lunge– Sculpt your butt and thighs with this move. Stand with your hands on your hips and legs hip distance apart. Take a big step forward with one leg and drop down into a lunge as your back-knee lowers to the floor. Make sure your front knee does not pass the front foot. Rise up a few inches and then lower back down two times. Press off the front heel to come back to your start position. Repeat on the other leg to complete one rep. Do 3 sets of 10.
2. Renegade Push-up (without weights)– Get into a pushup position with your hands shoulder width apart and your legs slightly wider than your hips. Do one pushup. Hold the high pushup position as you pull one shoulder blade back to lift the elbow to the ceiling. Place the hand back down on the ground doing your best to keep your core stable. Repeat on the other side. That is one rep. Do 2 sets of 10. Pushups may be modified on your knees.
3. Side Plank Rotation– Target your core, especially your obliques with the rotation. Get into a side plank on your right forearm with your legs stacked in parallel. Keep your shoulder in line with your elbow. Straighten the top arm up to the ceiling making sure your shoulders are stacked and shoulder blades pulled down into your back. Inhale, pull your navel into your spine, exhale as you bring the top arm under you as you rotate your ribs and hips up to the right. Rotate back to face front as you unwrap your arm. Complete 5 reps and then repeat on the other side. Do 3 sets.
4. Back Extension into Hamstring Press– Lie on your stomach with your arms extended above your head. Keep your shoulders down, pull your abs in tight and squeeze your entire back side to lift your upper body and legs off the ground. Keep your neck in line with your spine and biceps by your ears. Slowly lower down. Do 10 reps. Next, place your forehead on your hands with your elbows out to the sides. Bend your legs with your knees hip distance apart. Flex your feet and glue your heels together with the toes apart. Squeeze your glutes and hamstrings to lift your knees straight up off the ground. Imagine pressing the soles of your feet against the ceiling. Try to relax your arms and shoulders while doing this. Do 10 reps. Repeat the entire series for a total of 3 sets.
5. Plié Squat Combo– Stand with your legs turned out wider than shoulder distance apart. Clasp your hands together in front of your chest. Drop down into a deep squat making sure your feet are wide enough so that your knees don’t pass your toes. Keep your back straight and avoid sticking your butt out to get lower. Stay down as you roll up onto the balls of your feet lifting your heels. Stay on your toes as you squeeze your inner thighs to straighten the legs. Lower your heels down. Reverse the movement as you do a calf raise first and lower into the plié squat with your heels lifted. Stay in your squat as you lower the heels. Straighten your legs to complete one full rep. Do 3 sets of 10.
Whether you’re making a comeback from not working out for a while or just wanting to achieve the summer bod you’ve been hoping for, these bodyweight exercises are for you.
Get more like this—Subscribe to our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Video: Crystal Chin