Just because it’s no longer tank top season doesn’t mean we can’t still work on having great looking arms. In fact, the winter season is the perfect time to get into a home workout routine so you don’t have to brave the cold. Underarm flab is a common complaint with women. Less jiggle and more sculpted shoulders, triceps and biceps are often requested by clients. The solution to arm flab is decreasing the fat and increasing the muscle. As with any body part, decreasing fat takes more than just spot training. Regular cardio and a healthy diet are key in making exercises more effective and creating an overall toned, sculpted, and lean body. To help get rid of that annoying arm flab and build lean muscle, grab some 5 lb. dumbbells or any light weights and do the following exercises 3-4 times a week.
1. V-Raise– Stand with your legs in parallel, hip distance apart. Keep a soft bend in the knees, maintaining a neutral spine with abs engaged (this will be your stance for all the exercises except #5). With one dumbbell in each hand by your side, raise your arms straight up to shoulder height in a “V” shape. Keep the arms straight without locking your elbows. Do two sets of 15 reps with a 15-second rest after each set. Each set in this arm series should take about 45 seconds when done at a controlled pace.
2. Shoulder Press– Hold your arms out to your sides at shoulder height with your elbows bent and palms facing forward while holding dumbbells. Straighten both arms at the same time up to the sky without lifting your shoulders. Slowly lower your elbows back down to shoulder height and repeat. Do two sets of 15 reps with a 15-second rest after each set.
3. Shaving– Holding your dumbbells, bring your arms up and over your head, bending your elbows so that your hands drop down to the base of your neck. Make sure to touch your weights and keep them together throughout the exercise. With your elbows open wide, straighten your arms up and then bend your elbows to bring your hands back down. Keep your biceps by your ears the entire time. Do two sets of 15 reps with a 15-second rest after each set.
4. 3-Way Bicep Curl– Stand with your arms by your sides and palms facing forward. Do 1 regular bicep curl with both arms and then lower back down slowly. Rotate your arms so that your palms are now facing in towards your body and do a hammer curl. Finish off with a reverse curl by rotating your arms so that your palms face back. All 3 moves are one rep. Do 2 sets of 6 reps with a 15-second rest after each set.
5. Tricep Kickback– Stand with your legs hip distance apart and bend forward at the waist so that your body is parallel to the ground. Keep your back straight in this position and your abs pulled in. Bend your elbows up as high as you can and pinch your arms into your sides with the weight in your hands. Without moving your elbows, extend your arms back behind you and then slowly bring them back to the start position. Do two sets of 15 reps with a 15-second rest after each set.
Get a head start on working off holiday overindulgence with this 10-minute arm flab workout. You might even decide to go sleeveless for all of those holiday parties!
Get more like this—Subscribe to our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Video: Crystal Chin