Looking for a vegan pumpkin pie recipe? This Mini Chocolate Vegan Pumpkin Pie is the one thing I’ve made every single year for the past several years for both Thanksgiving and Christmas.
This pie has got so many things going on (the crunch of nutty sweet crust with a layer of cool chocolate, and then the creamy, cinnamon-y pumpkin layer topped with vanilla whipped cream) and yet everything just works perfectly. I’ve made the crust with both hazelnuts and pecans, and they both work wonderfully. Hazelnuts give a crunchier bite while pecans are just a Thanksgiving classic. Try whichever one that fits your taste and let me know how you like it 🙂
Mini Chocolate Vegan Pumpkin Pie
Makes 12 mini vegan pumpkin pies or 1 full size vegan pumpkin pie
1 cup hazelnuts or pecans
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
3 tbsp brown sugar
2.5 tbsp coconut oil, melted
1/4 tsp salt
2 tbsp cold water
1 can unsweetened pumpkin puree
3.5 tbsp brown sugar
1/3 block silken tofu
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/8 tsp ground ginger
1/8 tsp nutmeg
2 tsp cinnamon
3/4 cup vegan semisweet chocolate chips
Whipped Coconut Cream
1 can full-fat coconut milk, chilled overnight in the fridge
1/3 cup powdered sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a cupcake or mini tart tray with paper liners.
2. In a food processor or a blender, process hazelnuts, flour, sugar, coconut oil, and salt. Add 2 tbsp water and pulse until the dough forms. The texture should be like coarse, wet sand.
3. Add about 2 tbsp of crust dough to each of the paper cups. Press and flatten the dough into the cup using the fingers. Bake the crust for 15 minutes.
4. In the meantime, blend the filling ingredients together until thoroughly mixed and creamy.
5. When the crust is ready, melt the chocolate chips using the double boiler method or simply microwaving for about 1 minute.
6. Add about 2 tsp melted chocolate into the center of each mini pie crust and spread it out and up toward the sides.
7. Fill the remaining space in each mini pie crust with the pumpkin mixture. Bake in the oven for about 20-24 minutes until the edges are lightly browned. Cool to room temperature, then chill in the fridge for at least 2 hours.
8. (optional) top with coconut whipped cream, cocoa powder and cinnamon and serve.
Coconut whipped cream
-Open the chilled coconut milk can and scoop out the top cream part only. Blend the cream with powdered sugar and vanilla extract.
Enjoy your vegan pumpkin pie, my dumplings! ;D
Get more like this—Subscribe to our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Peaceful Dumpling