Vegan Holiday Recipes: Spiced Apple Butter
My grocery lists tend to be very simple. Usually, they consist of produce, some bulk grains, and the occasional condiment, like apple cider vinegar. But I often pass by items that I’d like to put in my shopping cart: artisanal vegan “cheesy” kale crackers, assorted wines with pretty labels, and what I call luxury condiments, like charming jars of apple butter. Most of these items are beyond the grocery budget, but some of these goodies I can actually make at home—including kale chips—and now, apple butter!
The warm spices and rich sweetness of apple butter comfort the heart and delight the tastebuds–it’s almost like spreading apple pie on whatever treat you’re about to devour! A cute jar of homemade vegan spiced apple butter makes a lovely gift for the breakfast-lover in your life—or anyone who craves healthy-leaning sweets. I plan to spread my apple butter over delicious, whole-grain waffles and indulge in my newfound food fanciness—for the morning, at least 🙂
Spiced Apple Butter
(Makes between 3 and 4 cups)
3 large apples, thinly sliced
¼ cup unrefined coconut oil
¼ cup maple syrup
1 tbsp. freshly squeezed lemon juice
pinch of sea salt
½ tsp. cinnamon
¼ tsp. nutmeg
¼ tsp. allspice
pinch of ground cloves
1. Preheat oven to 375F.
2. In a medium saucepan set on medium-high heat, warm the liquid ingredients and stir in spices until well combined.
3. Place thinly sliced apples into a heat-safe bowl, and pour warm liquid mixture over apples and toss, making sure apples are thoroughly coated.
4. Spread apples on a baking sheet (or two, if necessary). Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until apples are very soft. Enjoy the amazing scent this creates in your kitchen.
5. Remove baking sheet from the oven and allow apples to cool for about 10 minutes. Afterwards, purée apples in a high-speed blender, adding a spoonful of syrup, oil, and/or lemon juice to thin out the mixture as necessary.
6. Decant apple butter into glass jars and store in the fridge. Serve on toast, waffles, pancakes, crackers, or biscuits! Before serving, you may re-warm the apple butter in a small saucepan.
More vegan apple recipes: Raw Apple Pie
Photos: Mary Hood