I know this whole “I love fall” thing is going to be everywhere for weeks, but let’s do this. (Especially since summer is such a difficult season for me…) Gah I love fall so much. Everything about it feels just so right–the crisp air, waking up in the morning with a chill, cozy sweaters, leaves, the light….and then there are the smells and flavors of fall. Comforting soups, winter squashes, pumpkin, pie, and cinnamon-y warm bread hot from the oven.
This vegan cinnamon apple date raisin bread is such a bread that you’ll want to share with someone you love. If you have someone to impress, or need to bring a hostess gift, this bread will wow. Got a weekend brunch at home, or a late afternoon tea with a girl friend? This is what you want to make. It’s so incredibly delicious, with moist, soft interior filled with apples, dates, and raisins, topped with walnut oatmeal crumble…and so fool-proof and easy. I dare say it might be the best apple cinnamon raisin bread you’ll meet. Be warned: this is a recipe you’ll want to make again and again!
Vegan Cinnamon Apple Date Raisin Bread
1 loaf (2 mini loaves)
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup all purpose white flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
3 tbsp organic brown sugar
2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/8 tsp allspice
1/2 apple, cored and cut into small chunks
5 Medjool dates, pitted and cut into small pieces
1/2 cup raisins
1 cup almond milk (or another non dairy milk of choice)
1 tsp distilled white vinegar
Crumble topping (leave out if you want a healthier version for breakfast)
2 tbsp rolled oats
1 tbsp crushed walnuts
1 tbsp vegan butter
2 tsp organic brown sugar
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees F and line a loaf pan (or 2 mini pans) with parchment paper.
2. In a small bowl, mix together milk and vinegar and let sit.
3. In a large bowl, combine all dry ingredients (flour, baking soda and powder, spices, sugar, salt). Add apples, dates, raisins.
4. If using crumble topping, mix together the butter, oats, walnut, and 2 tsp sugar in another small bowl. Set aside.
5. Add the sour milk to the flour bowl and quickly combine using a wooden spoon. When just combined, transfer to the loaf pan. Top with crumble mixture. Bake in the oven for 40-50 minutes (25 minutes for mini loaves) or until toothpick comes out clean.
More fall desserts: Clara’s Perfect Pumpkin Cupcakes
Photo: Peaceful Dumpling