Br> This lo mein is super easy and quick to make, and the ingredients used can be flexible. Classic recipes call for fish sauce, but this is easily replaced with a bit of hoisin sauce. Feel free to add any and all veggies that you have available to you. If I had pineapple on hand, I would have added some of this too, as it goes great with the flavors of the sauce. You can also add some tofu for protein if desired.
Vegan Vegetable Lo Mein Noodles
- 14oz lo mein noodles
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1 tbsp minced ginger
- 1/4 cup red onion, diced
- 1/2 cup bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 cup snow peas
- 1/2 cup yellow squash, sliced
- 1/4 cup julienned carrots
- 1/4 cup scallions, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro
- For the sauce:
- 1 tsp chili garlic sauce
- 1/4 cup coconut aminos
- 2 tbsp hoisin sauce
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tsp sesame oil
1. In a large pot, bring enough water to cover the noodles to a boil. Cook noodles according to package. Drain and set aside.
2. Heat sesame oil over medium heat in a large skillet.
3. Add garlic, ginger, and onions and sauté for a couple minutes. Add the bell pepper, mushrooms, snow peas, and yellow squash and sauté until softened.
4. While veggies are cooking, prepare the sauce. Add all ingredients to a bowl and whisk together.
5. Pour the sauce and noodles over the veggies and toss well to coat entirely.
6. Stir in carrots, cilantro and scallions and serve.
Also by Lauren: Vegan Apple Cinnamon Rolls
Get more like this—Sign up for our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Lauren Sacerdote