I didn’t know exactly what we were going to make, but I wanted to use up the simple ingredients I already had on hand to make a fall treat. We ended up breaking the dough up into small balls, and then spreading each one out to line a cupcake tin, before filling them with the apple topping. The pastry dough in this recipe was leftover from some homemade cinnamon rolls, so it puffed up perfectly around the sides once it was baked. I didn’t bother making any icing or topping for these, but it would make a great addition, as would a scoop of vegan vanilla ice cream or yogurt.
- For the dough:
- 2 cups almond milk, room temperature
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 1/4 cup cane sugar
- 1 pack active dry yeast
- 5 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp sea salt
- For the filling:
- 12 apples, cored and cubed
- 1/4 cup vegan butter, broken up
- 1/2 cup cane sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp ground clove
1. To make the dough, add the milk, butter, and sugar to a mixing bowl and whisk together.
2. Sprinkle the yeast over the top and let it sit for a minute or two, until it begins to foam.
3. Add 5 cups of flour and the salt and stir until a sticky ball forms.
4. Cover with a towel and set aside for an hour to rise. It should double in size.
5. Add the leftover 1/2 cup flour and pour over the dough ball. Knead out the dough into a ball. Wrap in plastic wrap and set in the fridge until the apples are ready.
6. To make the apple filling, add the butter, apples, and spices to the crock pot and set on low for 6 hours, or high for 3 hours.
7. When the apples are ready, preheat your oven to 350°F and lightly grease 2 cupcake tins. (I used a single large cupcake tin instead and made 12 larger rolls.)
8. Break the dough into small balls, and roll the dough out to line the tin as if the dough was a cupcake liner. I just used my hands for this part.
9. Add a couple tablespoons of the apple filling inside of each pastry.
10. Bake for 25–30 minutes, until the pastry turns a golden brown.
11. Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack before serving.
Get more like this—Sign up for our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Lauren Sacerdote