One of the first things I learned after transitioning to a plant-based diet is that Mexican cuisine has some of the most versatile ingredients for plant-based meals. The beans, pico de gallo, salsas, avocados—it is hard to feel left out when there are so many options!
However, when it comes to Mexican food, I must say that my all-time favorite meal is the tostada. I love a crunchy tortilla topped with layers of decadent, flavorful, and fresh ingredients. This recipe for vegan tostadas is full of cheesy jackfruit, satisfying beans, and delicious Tex-Mex flavor. Requiring only 30 minutes to make and full of ingredients you already have in your pantry, these are just begging to be your next lunch or dinner!
Loaded Cheesy Jackfruit Tostadas
- 1/2 onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/3 cup cashews
- 1/3 cup plant milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons nutritional yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teasspon oregano
- 16 oz. can jackfruit in water
- 8 corn tostadas
- refried beans
- guacamole or pico de gallo
- vegan sour cream
- fresh cilantro
- fresh lime
1. Soak the cashews in hot water for one hour. Drain and set aside.
2. Cut the onion and three cloves of garlic into quarters and place into a food processor. Process for about fifteen seconds or until the onion and garlic are finely chopped.
3. Add the soaked cashews, plant milk, nutritional yeast, cumin, paprika, cayenne pepper, and oregano to the food processor (or blender) and process until a thick, smooth sauce has formed.
4. Drain the jackfruit and place into a large sauté pan over medium heat. Pour the sauce over the jackfruit and cook until the sauce begins to bubble. Turn the heat on low and cover. Cook for about eight minutes, stirring periodically. If you need to thin the sauce at any point during the cooking process, add two tablespoons of water at a time.
5. Once the jackfruit is cooked through, turn the heat off and use two forks to pull apart the jackfruit until it resembles shredded chicken. Stir around to make sure each piece of shredded jackfruit is covered with thick sauce.
6. To assemble: spread warm refried pinto or black beans on the tostada shell, top with the cheesy shredded jackfruit, a dollop of guacamole or pico de gallo, or even some vegan sour cream!
7. Sprinkle with lime juice and fresh cilantro to garnish.
8. Serve warm!
Also by Olivia: Vegan Green Goddess Dressing
Related: Sweet Potato & Tofu Quesadilla
Get more like this—Subscribe to our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Olivia Parr