I get an immense amount of satisfaction from cooking during the summer months because a substantial amount of the ingredients I use come from my own backyard. It is a lot easier to appreciate the food on your table when you put in the work to grow it yourself. Once the tomatoes start popping up on their vines, I eat them plentifully for a couple months and then I avoid all conventionally grown tomatoes during the winter, waiting patiently for the next years harvest. Nothing compares to fresh picked, local fruit and vegetables.
This tomato pie is the perfect summer comfort food. The aromatic basil, pungent garlic, and sweet tomatoes combined with a layer of melted cheese yield a wonderfully savory pie. It’s interesting how many of the ingredients for this recipe are the same as the ingredients for a pizza but when prepared the end result is drastically different. You can serve this pie with a side salad for a light lunch or dinner.
Cheesy Vegan Tomato Pie
- For the crust:
- 1 1/8 cup unbleached, all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 6 tbsp cold butter
- 3 tbsp cold water
- For the filling;
- 1 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- 1/4 cup red onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh basil
- to taste salt & pepper
- 1/2 cup vegan shredded cheese
1. Preheat the oven to 400F.
2. To make the crust, add the flour and salt to a large bowl and whisk together. Add the butter and cut it into the flour using a fork.
3. Add the water and stir in with a spatula until mixed well. Create a ball with the dough and roll out on a floured surface until thin and flat. Set inside an 8 inch cast iron skillet. Place in the fridge while you prepare the filling.
4. Prepare and add all of the filling ingredients to a mixing bowl. Mix well and set aside.
5. Remove the pie crust from the fridge. Sprinkle with a layer of cheese. Pour the tomato filling mix over the layer of cheese, spreading evenly. Top with a little more cheese.
6. Bake for 45-50 minutes, until the crust browns. Remove from oven and top with fresh basil.