Earth Day is undeniably my favorite holiday. And nowadays, maintaining an eco-friendly lifestyle is totally doable and not as expensive as one might think. By making simple adjustments to your daily routine — carpooling to work, unplugging unused electronics, reducing water usage, using reusable grocery bags, etc. — you can easily do your part to make the world a little greener.
Along with doing the aforementioned things (not only on Earth Day but every other day of the year!), I thought it would be nice to whip up a little dessert to celebrate such a special day. These adorable and tasty vegan Earth Day sugar cookies can be whipped up in no time and are the perfect treat to bring to work or to an Earth Day event.
If you're not big on unnatural food colorings, you can easily create blue and green food colorings using natural ingredients like spinach and red cabbage (yes, red cabbage!).
As always, enjoy!
1. In a large bowl, combine the dry ingredients: sugar, brown sugar, flour, baking powder, and salt.
2. Next, add the vegan butter, applesauce, vanilla extract, and almond milk to the mixture and stir until it's well combined.
3. Separate 1/4 of the cookie dough and place in a smaller bowl. Add 6 drops of green food coloring and blend well. Do the same with the cookie dough remaining in the larger bowl by adding the 10 drops of blue food coloring and blending until the food coloring is distributed throughout all of the dough.
4. Cover both bowls and place them in the freezer for five minutes. During this time, grease a baking sheet and preheat the oven to 350°F.
5. Now, the fun part. Combine the blue dough with the green dough to make "earthy" looking cookies. Place on baking sheet and bake for 10-12 minutes or until done.
6. Remove from oven and let cool. Enjoy!