For a milder version, omit the chili bean sauce. For an even spicier kick, try adding a small chopped chili.
- 1 large Eggplant, sliced into thick strips
- 4 cloves Garlic, diced
- 1 tbsp Ginger, diced
- 2 tbsp Vegetarian Oyster Sauce
- 1 tsp Chili Bean Paste (Doubanjiang)
- 1 tsp Light soy sauce
- 1 tbsp Oil
- 2-3 tbsp Water
1. In a medium-sized saucepan or wok, heat 1 tbsp oil over high heat.
2. Add the eggplant. Turn occasionally for 3-5 minutes, until tender inside and slightly charred outside.
3. Remove from heat. Turn the heat down to medium.
4. Now add the garlic, ginger, vegetarian oyster sauce, chili bean paste and light soy sauce. Add 2-3 tbsp water and stir until a thick glaze forms, which takes about 2-3 minutes.
5. Stir the charred eggplant strips into the sauce for 1-2 minutes, until just combined. Serve the stir fried eggplant with steamed rice. Enjoy!
More by Debbie: Char Siu Roasted Cauliflower
Also see: Vegan Sweet & Sour Tofu Bowl
Get more like this—Sign up for our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Deborah Tan