Char Siu Roasted Cauliflower
- 1 head Cauliflower
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 cloves, minced Garlic
- 3 tbsp Sugar
- 1 tbsp Light Soy Sauce
- 1 tsp Dark Soy Sauce
- 1 tbsp Vegetarian Oyster Sauce
- 1 tsp Five Spice Powder
- 1/2 tsp Ground White Pepper
1. Make the char siu sauce. Sprinkle a thin layer of sugar in a pot until it starts to melt. Add another layer and gently mix it into the caramelized layer. The result should be a light caramel colour. Add the olive oil, garlic, light and dark soy sauce, vegetarian oyster sauce, five spice powder and ground white pepper. Combine the ingredients over a low heat and do not bring to a boil.
2. Cut the cauliflower into bite-sized florets.
3. Marinade in the sauce for at least two hours, ideally overnight.
4. Bake at 200°C for 15-20 minutes. Check when they are halfway done and flip. They should be slightly charred and crisp on the outside, and tender on the inside. You’re done! Serve with rice and bok choy 😊
You can also use frozen cauliflower—just defrost before using.
If you don’t have ground white pepper, black pepper is fine too.
Also by Debbie: Vegan Mushroom Sticky Rice (Lo Mai Gai)
Photo: Debbie Tan