Is it just me, or is there something a little off-putting about gourmet grilled cheese? Maybe it’s my fervent opposition to anything hipster, or it could be that I’m a fan of the simple cheese-and-bread combo. Either way, I’ve pretty much avoided the idea of this sandwich since going vegan. But in an effort to expand and enhance my culinary prowess, this weekend I decided to give a grilled cheese recipe a try. The result? Delicious.
This is an adaptable recipe, so I encourage you to change the ingredients as desired. For my part, I used a smoked Gouda cheese from Follow Your Heart, and I loved the taste in combination with the spicy arugula and sweet caramelized onions.
Grilled Cheese With Caramelized Onions, Tomato, and Arugula
- 4 slices bread of choice
- 4 slices vegan cheese of choice
- 1 onion, sliced into half moons
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, plus more for toasting bread
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 4 slices tomato
- 1/4 cup arugula
- 1 tablespoon tahini
- 4 basil leaves
1. Heat olive oil on a medium skillet over low-medium heat. Add onion and saute for one minute. Add brown sugar and continue sauteing for 7-8 minutes, until the onion is soft and caramelized. Remove from skillet and set aside.
2. Prepare your sandwiches by spreading tahini on one side of the bread, then adding the cheese, onions, tomato, and basil. Cover with the other slice of bread and repeat with the other sandwich.
3. In an oven, toaster oven, or over the stove top in a skillet, toast sandwich until both sides have browned and the cheese is beginning to melt. (Vegan cheese is much more difficult to melt than dairy cheese, so be patient and keep an eye on the sandwich.)
4. Stuff arugula between the bread slices and serve.
Also by Molly: Chickpea Salad with Polenta Croutons
Get more like this—Subscribe to our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Molly Lansdowne