Rhubarb is technically a vegetable but it is usually paired with sweet fruit to balance out the flavor. One classic combination that most people are familiar with is strawberries and rhubarb, usually in pies. When cooked down together, these two make a delicious topping that can be served over cake or ice cream, stirred into yogurt, or spread on some toast. I used honey as a sweetener for this but you can substitute maple syrup, agave, cane sugar, or whatever other sweetener you prefer.
Vegan Pound Cake With Strawberry Rhubarb Compote
- For the pound cake:
- 1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 cup vegan butter
- 1 cup cane sugar
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup applesauce
- 1/2 cup vegan plain yogurt
- For the topping:
- 2 cups diced rhubarb
- 2 cups diced strawberries
- 1/2 cup raw honey
- juice from 1/2 lemon
- 1/8 cup water
- For the whipped topping:
- 1/4 cup coconut cream
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp honey
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 9×5 loaf pan.
2. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients- flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
3. In a separate bowl, cream together the butter and sugar. Stir in the vanilla, applesauce, and yogurt.
4. Pour the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and stir until smooth.
5. Pour into the loaf pan and bake for 45 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
6. While the cake is baking, prepare your topping. Add all ingredients to a large pot and bring to a boil.
7. Reduce heat to a simmer and and cook for about 40 minutes, stirring occasionally. This will melt down into a syrup.
8. Remove syrup from heat. Remove cake from oven and cool on a wire rack.
9. To make the whipped topping, add all ingredients to a mixing bowl and beat with a mixer attachment or handheld mixer until light and fluffy.
10. Slice cake and serve with strawberry rhubarb topping and whipped topping.
Also by Lauren: Vegan Cinnamon Pumpkin Spice Donuts
Get more like this—Sign up for our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Lauren Sacerdote