Not that easy and quite messy to prepare it but definitely worth for the taste orgy.
To replace the eggs I like to use a brand called Eggie, their products is a simple to use, powder based replacement. You need to mix one tablespoon of powder and 2 tablespoon water to replace one egg and it works beautifully.
GF Vegan Flódni (Hungarian Jewish Apple, Walnut, & Poppy Seed Pastry)
- 60 dkg gluten free flour
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 2 tbsp white sugar
- 20 dkg unsulated margarine or vegan or coconut butter
- 5 servings egg replacement (replacing 5 eggs)
- 3/4 cup plant-based milk
- 20 dkg minced walnuts
- 1 grated peel of an orange (use organic/bio if possible)
- 3 tbsp cane sugar
- 5 dkg raisins (optional)
- 15 dkg poppy seed
- 1 grated peel of a lemon (use organic/bio if possible)
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder
- 2+4 large grated apples
- 3 tbsp plum jam
Make the dough:
1. In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine the flour, sugar, and salt.
2. Add the butter and mix until incorporated. Add the egg replacement and plant based milk and mix until a dough forms.
3. Replace the paddle with a dough hook and knead dough on medium speed until smooth, 5-6 minutes. Form dough into a ball and wrap in plastic; set aside to rest for 30 minutes.
Make the walnut filling:
If using raisins place them in water to soak for a few hours, so they will be soft when you make the filling. Mix the chopped walnuts with the raising, 1 tbs cane sugar and grated orange peel. Add just as much water as needed to make it spreadable.
Make the poppy seed filling:
1. Mix the poppy seed with the cinnamon, grated lemon peel, 2 tbs cane sugar and 2 grated apples. Add just as much water as needed to make it spreadable.
2. Heat oven to 180°C. Line an 8″ square baking pan with 2 overlapping sheets of parchment paper cut to 10″ x 8″. Divide the dough into thirds; set 1 third aside. Cut 2 dough pieces in half and set aside. Transfer the third dough piece to a floured work surface and roll to 1⁄8” thickness.
3. Line the bottom and sides of the baking pan with dough and let excess dough hang over the edges; trim dough to within 1″ of pan and brush with vegan butter.
4. Transfer the poppy seed filling to the bottom layer of dough and smooth the top with spatula. Roll 1 piece of the remaining dough to 1⁄8” thickness and trim to make an 8″ square; top the poppy seed filling with dough and brush with vegan butter.
5. Transfer 4 grated apples to top of dough and smooth with spatula. Roll another piece of the remaining dough to 1⁄8” thickness and trim to make an 8″ square; top the apple filling with dough and brush with vegan butter.
6. Transfer the walnut mixture to top of dough and smooth with spatula. Roll another piece of the remaining dough to 1⁄8” thickness and trim to make an 8″ square; transfer the dough to top of walnut filling and brush with remaining vegan butter.
7. Transfer the plum jam to top of dough and smooth with spatula; fold the overhanging dough onto the plum filling. Roll the remaining dough piece to 1⁄8” thickness and trim to make an 8″ square; top the plum filling with dough, prick with a fork.
8. Bake until the pastry is golden brown, 1 hour. Transfer to a rack and let it completely cool, for several hours.
You can top it with powdered sugar, but I like it plain.
Also by Imola: GF Vegan Poppy Seed Lemon Cake
Get more like this—Sign up for our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Imola Toth