Most of my recipes are modern versions of traditional Hungarian dishes, or well-planned recipes. This dish, however, was made by accident. But it turned out just as good. Super easy and quick to make, the longest part is baking the squash if you don’t have pre-packed butternut squash puree at home. You can be as flexible as you want with the ingredients and adjust everything as needed to make it more or less saucy.
Vegan Oven Baked Butternut Squash Mac And Cheese
- 200 g macaroni pasta
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 2 small shallots, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup butternut squash puree
- 1 1/2 cup nut milk
- 2 to 4 tbs nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tbs dried thyme
- 1/2 tbs dried sage
- 1 to 2 tbs spicey mustard
- to taste salt, pepper, cinnamon
- vegan cheese, shred
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C.
2. Prepare the pasta according to package directions, rinse with cold water and set aside.
3. Add the oil, garlic and shallots to a baking dish along with half of the herbs and a pinch of salt and bake for 10 minutes or until they become golden.
4. Meanwhile blend the butternut squash puree, nut milk, nutritional yeast, salt, pepper, cinnamon, mustard and the rest of the herbs until smooth. Adjust seasoning or thickness if needed.
5. Add the macaroni to the baking dish, add the sauce and combine well. Top with the shredded vegan cheese (I used vegan pizza cheese but it also taste amazing with vegan cheddar), place the dish back to the oven and bake until the cheese melts and starts to turn golden.
Best if you let it sit for a few minutes before serving.
Get more like this—Sign up for our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Imola Toth