Mediterranean dishes are some of my favorite to cook because they are all so fresh and flavorful. The ingredients that generally come to mind are hummus, olives, and parsley. These flavors are usually combined and stuffed into a pita pocket or made into a salad. I wanted to use some of these classic mediterranean foods to create a pizza.
Many Greek pies are made using puff pastry. Puff pastry is one of those ‘accidentally vegan’ foods, usually containing just oil, flour, and water, but be careful to double check the package. Once the pastry is layered with hummus and topped with the olives, it becomes a salty and savory treat. The peppadew peppers add a slight bit of heat while the lemons add some zest. You can generally find these peppers at the olive bar of most markets.
Vegan Mediterranean Puff Pastry Pizza
- 1 puff pastry sheet
- 1/4 cup hummus
- 1/2 red onion, sliced
- 1/4 cup peppadew peppers, diced
- 1/4 cup mixed olives
- handful fresh parsley
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- to top black pepper
1. Preheat oven to 350F.
2. Grease a cookie sheet. Spread the puff pastry sheet onto the cookie sheet.
3. Top the puff pastry with a layer of hummus.
3. Add onions, peppers, and olives.
4. Bake for 20 min.
5. Remove from oven and add parsley, lemon juice, and black pepper. Serve with a green salad.
Get more like this—Sign up for our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Lauren Sacerdote