This dish looks kinda fancy (to me) but it couldn’t be more easy and quick to make. You only need 3 ingredients besides the seasoning and you’re good to go. It’s vegan, gluten free and I think even paleo?!
Perfect when you are expecting friends over or when you just don’t have time to cook. Potato galettes are ideal as a side dish or even as a main if you serve it with salad.
This cake is basically made of simply sliced potatoes and if you want to keep it super plain you will only need potatoes, olive oil, salt and fresh herbs. The best is to use a mandolin to achieve perfectly thin potato slices. I tried with a knife first and it didn’t work for me…
Creamy Cheesy GF Vegan Potato Galette
- 1 kg potatoes, sliced in rounds
- 200 ml vegan bechamel sauce*
- 200 g vegan cheese, chredded
- to taste salt, pepper
- 1 ts each freshly chopped parsley, rosemary, thyme
- 2 tbs (if you have a sticky skillet) olive oil
*You can buy a pre-made vegan bechamel sauce or make your own from scratch using just vegan butter, nondairy milk, flour, garlic, nutritional yeast, salt, and pepper.
1. Preheat your oven to 180 Celsius degree.
2. If you have a sticky you’ll need some oil under the potatoes, otherwise you won’t need to grease your skillet first. Start layering your potato slices, adding a sprinkle of sea salt on top, then can come a layer of vegan bechamel sauce and vegan cheese and herbs, then a layer of potato again.
3. Layer the potatoes, bechamel, cheese and herbs as many times as you would like. You can use more or less of the potatoes, depending how thick or thin you’d like the layers to be. I am a big fan of potatoes so I used a lot of them, with a lot of vegan cheese too. You can finish the layering with potatoes or cheese. I like to simply have plain potatoes on top because they get crispy like chips and I just love that. But my mom would definitely finish the galette off with a huge mount of cheese because she is all into the creaminess. Up to you, be creative and do what you love dumplings! 😉
4. Bake it for about 40-50 minutes. The top should be crispy but the inside should be soft and creamy.
Get more like this—Sign up for our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Imola Toth