Vegan Halloween Recipes: Boo-tiful Gluten-Free Bean Brownies
- 1-1/4 cups adzuki beans, cooked
- ~15 dry dates
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/3 cup raw cacao powder
- 4 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons flax meal
- 1/3 bar chopped dark chocolate
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened coconut flakes
2. In a food processor or blender, prepare the flax eggs (2 tablespoons flax meal + 6 tablespoons water) and let sit for a few minutes until they gel. Then combine the beans and dates and blend until smooth.
3. Add the vanilla and oil; blend.
4. Lastly, add the cacao powder, and blend first on low (to prevent a powder explosion), then high until completely smooth. Taste for sweetness, and if desired, add a few more dates.
5. Pour batter into an 8x8 baking dish lined with parchment. Sprinkle the top with chopped chocolate and gently press into the batter (it will be a thin layer). Bake at 350°F for 10 minutes.
6. After 10 minutes, sprinkle batter with coconut, press it down lightly, and bake for another 15-20 minutes until a knife comes out clean when inserted.
7. Let cool completely before cutting into squares. Enjoy!
Also by Jennifer: Vegan Tahini Truffles
Related: Gluten-Free Mocha Brownies
Get more like this—Subscribe to our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photos: Jennifer Kurdyla