Honestly this recipe didn’t turn out the way I planned. Instead it turned out much better.
The mistake was that I didn’t find vegan bacon in the store so I thought that gluten-free vegan sausage might work instead. It’s made of chickpeas and usually I can slice it up easily, but this time it simply fell apart. So I decided to take the crumble and stuff the zucchinis with that and top with vegan cheddar. My original plan was to layer one slice of sausage then a slice of cheddar, then sausage etc… you can give it a try if your sausage is firm enough. I happened to love this version more.
GF Vegan Hasselback Zucchini
- 2 large zucchini
- 1 small vegan sausage
- to taste vegan cheddar, shredded
- to taste oak-smoked salt flakes
- 3 tbs vegan sour creme
- to taste pepper
- to taste sweet paprika powder
- 1-2 tbs olive oil
1. Preheat the oven to 180 Celsius degree.
2. Make crosswise cuts every 1 cm along each zucchini, slicing almost to the bottom but not all the way through. Put parchment paper on a baking sheet and place the zucchinis on it.
3. Sprinkle with olive oil and bake for 10 minutes. Then remove from the oven, place sausage in the cuts or use the crumbs as I did 🙂
4. Season with pepper and smoked salt flakes (only a few flakes are enough as the taste is pretty strong. P.S. I got it from IKEA), top with vegan cheddar and toss back to the oven for another 10 minutes.
5. Serve with sour creme and sweet paprika powder on top.
Get more like this—Sign up for our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Imola Toth