Vegan French Onion Macaroni & Cheese Casserole
- Olive oil
- 2 tbsp vegan butter
- x2 large onions (chopped)
- x2 garlic cloves (minced)
- Splash of apple cider vinegar
- Nutritional yeast
- 2 cups choice of short pasta (precooked)
- Handful of breadcrumbs or leftover sourdough (cut into cubes)
- 1 tsp garlic/onion powder
- 1 tsp dried herbs (such as thyme)
- 2 tbsp flour
- Salt & pepper
1. On a hot pan, drizzle some olive oil and add your vegan butter until melted.
2. Toss over your chopped onions and let it sit covered with a lid to let the steam do its job in caramelizing them on low to medium heat. This will take about 25–30 minutes.
3. You can check them every 10 minutes making sure they are not fried but rather getting soften by the steam, add a splash of apple cider vinegar once it’s getting dry.
4. In the last 10 minutes, add in your minced garlic.
5. Once they become beautifully golden brown, transfer them onto a plate and set aside.
6. Using the same pan, pour your soy milk and let it simmer. Make a slurry by using some of the soy milk and 2 tbsp of flour and whisk over to thicken to make your sauce base.
7. Put back your caramelized onion and combine onto the sauce well.
8. Then pop in your pre cooked short pasta and incorporate until every pasta is fully coated.
9. Sprinkle over some nutritional yeast, dried herbs, salt and pepper to taste.
10. Prepare your toppings (breadcrumbs or leftover sourdough cut into cubes) with some drizzle of olive oil, garlic/ onion powder (whichever seasoning you have on hand) and dried herbs.
11. Transfer your pasta onto a baking tray topped with your seasoned breading.
12. And bake the top part at 200°c just for about 5 minutes until golden brown and enjoy!
Also by Bel: Vietnamese Fried Rice with Lotus Seeds
Get more like this—Sign up for our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Bel Faustino