A few fun facts about rhubarb: Although widely considered a vegetable, rhubarb is used mainly as a fruit in sweet dishes—like this Vegan Raspberry Rhubarb Bread Pudding. The bright red stalks are typically the only part of the plant that's eaten since the leaves are high in oxalic acid (so don't eat the leaves!). Despite rhubarb's sweetness, this low-calorie plant offers a wealth of nutritional goodness, including fiber, protein, vitamin C, vitamin K, calcium, and magnesium.
Vegan Dessert Recipes: Raspberry Rhubarb Bread Pudding
- 3 stalks rhubarb, chopped
- 6 ounces raspberries
- 1 cup pitted dates
- 1/2 cup full-fat coconut milk
- 2 cups almond milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons flax seeds, ground
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 10 slices sandwich bread, at least a day old, cut into cubes
- Coconut oil, for coating pan
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Coat an 8-inch square baking pan with the coconut oil.
2. Add rhubarb, raspberries, dates, and coconut and almond milk to a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Once the pot has come to a boil, reduce to a simmer for 10 minutes.
3. After 10 minutes, carefully pour into a blender and blend on high until the mixture has reached a smooth consistency.
4. In a large bowl, add bread and raisins. Then pour 3 cups of rhubarb mixture over the bread and mix until coated thoroughly (there will be leftover rhubarb mixture, which you can use to top individual servings of bread pudding). Let sit for 5 to 10 minutes.
5. Bake for 30 minutes or until the top is golden brown.
Also by Molly: Vegan Chocolate Protein Pancakes
Related: Banana Bread Cinnamon Raisin Pudding
Get more like this—Subscribe to our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photos: Molly Lansdowne