Some of the best vegan foods I have had to date have been in Ubud, Bali. Everything was so fresh, delicious, and made with oh so much love. I still dream of island dishes. However, there is one dish that imprinted heavily on my heart from a beautiful raw vegan eatery called Alchemy Bali. Their famous banoffee pie is heavenly. So, I have made it my duty to recreate this life-changing pie.
At first taste, this pie is sweet and flavorful, but underneath the yummy layers lies a seriously healthy and nutrient-dense pie. The protein-rich blend of cashews and coconut combined with fiber-rich bananas and dates will keep you feeling satiated and happy. The best part is–it is super easy to make! I took the time to make the raw crust; however, buying a vegan graham cracker pie crust at the store is fine, too.
So if you’re feeling the need to beat the winter blues, let this banana- and coconut-infused pie take you away to the magical tropics!
Vegan Banoffee Pie
- 1 1/3 cup cashew nuts
- 1/2 cup dried coconut, shredded
- 1/4 cup date paste
- 1 vanilla bean, scraped
- pinch of salt
- Raw Caramel Toffee:
- 14 dates
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1 large tablespoon smooth almond butter
- splash vanilla extract
- pinch fine sea salt
- 3 ripe bananas
- 2 cans full-fat coconut milk (refrigerated overnight)
- Possible garnish, cacao shavings
1. Process the cashews, shredded coconut, vanilla, and salt in the food processor to a fine powder. Add the date paste and continue processing until a dough-like consistency is achieved. The crust should hold together when gently pressed together. Add a small amount of water if necessary. Distribute on the bottom of a standard sized pie pan, and press an even layer on the bottom and up the sides. Cover and set aside in the refrigerator until ready to be filled.
Raw Caramel Toffee:
2. Add pitted dates into a bowl and pour boiling water over top. Let sit for 5-10 minutes, or longer if your dates are firm. Drain the dates and add to food processor along with the almond butter, almond milk, salt, and vanilla extract. Process until smooth.
3. Pour raw caramel toffee onto the pie crust. Dice bananas and place on top of the caramel toffee filling.
4. Take the cans of coconut out of the fridge. Scoop off the cream from the top of the can into a small bowl, disregarding the water. Whisk the cream until fluffy. Smooth the coconut whip onto the top of the pie. Garnish with cacao shavings.
Also by Jess: How to Do a Three-Day Spring Cleanse
Related: Raw Vegan Tiramisu
Get more like this—Subscribe to our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Jess Davis