What do you think about when you choose what to eat? It's something that happens rather frequently throughout the day. For me, the main consideration comes down to 'whatever makes me feel good.' You know, there is just so much that you have to grin, take a deep breath, and just do in this world to make things go around. (Uh, changing your kitty's litter box, for instance). Eating shouldn't be one of those things! If something isn't fun for me I just refuse to eat it (pfft rice cakes).
These vegan and gluten free chickpea blondies are definitely a fun and delicious treat--but also good for you, packed full of protein and lower in sugar and fat. A word about chickpeas: it's an excellent source of tryptophan, an essential amino acid that triggers the production of serotonin. Chickpeas are also one of the best sources of folate, which is essential for neurotransmitter function. Paired with dark chocolate (a known mood-booster), this basically means chickpea blondies are guaranteed feel-good foods. Which they are. :D Share with your loved ones and be happy!
1. Heat oven to 350* F. In a small bowl, combine chia seeds and water and let sit.
2. In a blender or food processor, blend all remaining ingredients except chocolate chips and baking powder, until a dough forms.
3. Add chia seed mixture and baking powder and pulse to combine. Stir in chocolate chips.
4. Add the dough to a 9×9 baking tray and pat down to desired thickness. Bake in the oven for 30-40 minutes.
5. Take out of the oven and cool completely on counter, then chill in the fridge for at least 45 minutes. The longer you chill, easier they will be to cut and handle. Cut them into squares or bars and enjoy!
Originally from Portland, Oregon, Juhea now lives in NYC with her Oreo cookie cat, Zeus. When she is not writing, she enjoys running in Central Park, yoga, and teaching Barre classes. Follow Juhea on Instagram @peacefuldumpling, Google+ and Pinterest.