A version of this recipe previously appeared on Stylewise.In addition to having a bit of R & R with your family, it's also the perfect season for a Hot Toddy. I returned from Kentucky Bourbon Country in October with a real appreciation for the spicy sweetness of this true American beverage. I don't typically want it neat or on the rocks, but it seemed like the perfect thing to add to my evening tea. Over the last month or so, I've developed a hot toddy recipe that plays on the traditional combination of lemon, honey, and whiskey, but with a twist: fair trade ginger tea. I won't pretend this combination hasn't been done before in some form, but mine might be the first recipe that uses fair trade ginger tea. Whether you're enduring a cold snap or a winter cold, this hot toddy will warm you up. If you're into Hot Toddy or tea cocktails, I would love to hear about your custom recipes. Feel free to share in the comments.
- 12 oz. water
- heaping tablespoon liquid sweetener
- juice from one half lemon
- 1 bag fair-trade organic ginger tea (I like Equal Exchange Fair Trade Organic Ginger Tea)
- 1 oz. Bourbon (I like Evan Williams' Black Label and Buffalo Trace's Benchmark)
2. Add 1 oz. of bourbon and a tea bag to your favorite mug.
3. Pour hot water over tea bag.
4. Stir in liquid sweetener and lemon.
5. Remove ginger tea bag after 1-2 minutes for best balance.
Put on your flannel PJs and settle in for the night.
Related: Refreshing Moscow Mule
Get more like this—Subscribe to our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Leah Wise