I used canned pumpkin in this recipe because I had a bunch of it on hand, but feel free to use fresh, homemade purée if you want to make your own. You can do so by simply roasting, de-seeding, and blending a sugar pumpkin until smooth. This is a great way to make use of some of your Halloween decor, instead of tossing your pumpkins to rot in the back yard when the holiday is over.
Vegan Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Cookies
- 1/4 cup vegan butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup cane sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp ground clove
- pinch sea salt
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 350°F and line baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a large mixing bowl, cream together the butter and sugars.
3. Stir in the pumpkin purée and vanilla extract.
4. Add the flour, baking soda, spices, and salt to the bowl and mix until combined.
5. Fold in the chocolate chips.
6. Use a cookie dough scoop to drop balls of dough onto the baking sheet. Bake for 14 minutes.
7. Remove from oven and cool on a cooling rack before serving.
Also by Lauren: Haitian Pumpkin Soup (Joumou)
Get more like this—Sign up for our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Lauren Sacerdote