And for me, there’s nothing more wintry than gathering friends and family around a table and spending a day laughing and chatting as you roll out the gnocchi dough and transform it into small, pressed gnocchi bites.
Nourishing for the body and soul, this butternut squash gnocchi gets topped with a spicy, tangy, and sweet chimichurri sauce. Enjoy an explosion of flavors in your mouth as the sourness of the vinegar combines with the sweetness of the squash for an irresistible and unusual dish.
Vegan Chimichurri Butternut Squash Gnocchi
- For The Gnocchi
- 1 Whole Butternut Squash
- 3 cups flour
- 1 Tbsp salt
- For The Sauce
- 2 Tbsp garlic
- 3 Tbsp lemon
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 3 cups cilantro
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1.5 red onions
1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
2. Cut butternut squash in half lengthwise.
3. Remove seeds from center (you can roast these in the oven with salt and oil for an additional treat!).
4. Brush both halves with olive oil, and bake in the oven for one hour or until the flesh is soft when pricked with a fork.
5. Once baked, remove butternut squash from skin and pulverize until the squash resembles a puree.
6. Mix butternut puree with 3 cups of flour and 1 tbsp of salt, mixing until the flour and squash form a dough. (Depending on the size of your butternut squash, you may need to add more flour to reach a non-sticky consistency).
7. Shape the gnocchi: Divide the dough into four medium sized balls. Roll each ball of dough into a rope, about ½ inch thick. Cut into inch-long pieces and press each piece on a fork to get firm ridges around the gnocchi.
8. Boil water in a pot, placing just enough of the formed gnocchi into the pot to fill the bottom of the pot.
9. Remove and strain once gnocchi starts to float or forms a sheen around the edges. Repeat for the rest of the uncooked gnocchi.
10. Add all ingredients for the chimichurri sauce into a blender. Blend until slightly chunky.
11. Serve gnocchi with a generous serving of sauce on top.
Also by Dana: Sweet Garlic Lime Cauliflower Wings
Get more like this—Sign up for our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Dana Drosdick