This mushroom was given its name due to its similarity in both flavor and texture to chicken. Naturally, I decided to make a dish that generally calls for chicken, and just substituted it with this particular mushroom instead. Butter chicken is a popular Indian curry dish and with a few simple swaps, can easily be made vegan. The chicken of the woods worked wonderfully in this recipe and absorbed all of the flavors of the spices. You could try using another mushroom if that is what is available to you but it might yield a slightly different taste.
Vegan Butter Chicken Of The Woods
- 3 tbsp vegan butter
- 2 1/2 cups chicken of the woods, diced
- 1/2 cup diced red onion
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 1/4 tsp ground coriander
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- juice from 1 lime
- 1/3 cup coconut cream
- fresh cilantro
1. Add butter to a large pan over medium heat until melted.
2. Add the mushrooms, onion, and garlic and sauté for a few minutes until softened.
3. Season with the spices and stir well to coat. Let simmer for a minute.
4. Stir in the tomato paste and coconut milk. Simmer on low for about 15 minutes, to let the flavors infuse .
5. Remove from heat and stir in lime juice and cilantro. Serve over rice.
Get more like this—Sign up for our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Lauren Sacerdote