For the easy vegan hollandaise sauce:
1. In a high-speed blender, combine pressed tofu, lemon juice, nutritional yeast, salt, cayenne, turmeric, and coconut oil. Blend the mixture until super smooth and creamy. If you'd like the sauce to be a thinner consistency, add a small splash of water or vegan milk and blend again.
2. Serve immediately or warm in a pan if desired. Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge and use within a few days.
For the rest of the meal pictured here (portobello bacon and toast assembly):
1. Whisk together tamari, garlic powder, smoked paprika, liquid sweetener, and liquid smoke (if using).
2. Turn on the oven to broil, and line a baking tray with foil. Dip the mushroom slices in the marinade and lay them on the tray with a little space between each slice. Broil under the flame for 8-10 minutes or until the mushroom slices are browned. Turn the mushroom slices over, drizzle with remaining marinade, and broil for an additional 3-5 minutes.
3. Toast your toast. If you don't want your toast to become completely soggy under the hollandaise sauce, make it as crunchy as possible.
4. Arrange the portobello bacon on the toast and drench with hollandaise sauce. Dust with black pepper and smoke paprika. Enjoy!
Have you tried vegan hollandaise sauce yet? How do you use it in creative breakfast recipes?
Related: Vegan Mocha Breakfast Smoothie
Best Tofu Scramble Recipe
Creamy Sundried Tomato Pasta Sauce
Get more like this—Subscribe to our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photos: Mary Hood Luttrell