I have been experimenting with a bunch of different methods to make vegan french toast and I had a lot of fails before I was finally successful in achieving the *perfect* recipe. One tip I eventually learned was to use day old or stale bread. This helps a lot in avoiding soggy french toast. Once you know how to make french toast, you can leave it open faced and add toppings, or you can stuff it with jam, fruit, peanut butter, or anything your heart desires.
I wanted to stuff my toast with a seasonal fruit so I choose to make a quick cranberry sauce. To balance out the tartness of the cranberries, I added a layer of vegan cream cheese. This is the perfect combination of flavors stuffed inside of cinnamon battered toast. It is warm and filling, and would go perfect with holiday brunch.
Vegan Cranberry Cream Cheese Stuffed French Toast
- For the cranberry sauce:
- 1/2 bag (6oz) fresh cranberries
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- For the French Toast:
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1/2 tablespoon ground flax seed
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 6 pieces sliced bread, stale
- 2-3 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2-3 tablespoons vegan cream cheese
- confectioners sugar
- maple syrup
1. In a large stock pot, add all of the ingredients for the cranberry sauce and stir. Bring mixture to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and let cook while you prepare your french toast.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the almond milk, flax, vanilla, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Let this sit for a couple of minutes to bind.
3. On three pieces of bread, spread the cream cheese. Remove the cranberry sauce from heat, and spread a layer over the cream cheese. Top each slice of bread with an empty piece of bread, creating 3 sandwiches.
4. Heat a tablespoon of coconut oil in a skillet over medium high heat.
5. Dip the french toast in the almond milk mixture very lightly, not saturating it, and add to the skillet. Cook on both sides until golden brown.
6. Top with additional cranberry sauce, confectioners sugar, and maple syrup.
This is basically the method used to make a grilled cheese. 🙂
More vegan breakfast recipes: Chickpea Hashbrowns
More on Holidays
Photo: Lauren Sacerdote