The beautiful influence from the French and the fusion of Vietnamese ingredients created Bánh Xèo—a golden savory pancake. Its direct translation is cake or bread (Bánh, derived from the French word "pain" ) and Xèo, mimicking the sizzling sound of this savory crêpe that goes "ssseeeooohhh" when the batter is poured over hot pan.
It is crispy on the outside with a slight chew on the inside stuffed with fresh vegetables and herbs. We were taught to eat it the right way where you rip some of the Bánh Xèo then add a leaf of each herb (mint and cilantro) then wrap it with some fresh lettuce and pop it in your mouth for textures and flavors of wonders! Learn how to make your own sizzling cakes at home without traveling all the way to Southeast Asia.
Vegan Bánh Xèo (GF Vietnamese Sizzling Pancake)
- 1 cup rice flour
- 1 tbsp corn flour
- pinch turmeric powder
- pinch salt
- 1 cup plant-based milk of choice
- 2–3 stalks of spring onion (chopped)
- 2–3 tbsp oil (for pan frying)
- 1 cup beansprout
- 1 carrot (cut into matchsticks)
- 1 cucumber (also cut into matchsticks)
- handful fresh mint
- handful cilantro
- 1 lime (cut into wedges)
Watch me make it in our YouTube video.
1. In a big mixing bowl, combine your flours, a pinch of turmeric for that beautiful natural coloring and salt until well combined.
2. Next, pour in your vegan milk of choice (coconut milk is mainly used but any plant based milk will do, I’ve tried with soy milk and it worked out fine) and whisk until you have your own Bahn Xèo batter.
3. Add in your spring onion and preheat your pan.
4. Drizzle 1 tbsp oil to your hot pan for each 2–3 ladle spoonful of batter.
5. Pan fry each side until golden brown.
6. Add your choice of veggies as filling and fold in half like you would with a crepe.
7. Enjoy with a squeeze of fresh lime juice.
Also by Bel: Lentil Walnut Vegan Crumble
Get more like this—Sign up for our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo, video and video editing by: @BelBrosasFaustino