This rice is sweet, salty, and spicy. It makes for a more substantial meal than the soup and you could even try adding more mix-ins like tofu, pineapple, or bean sprouts. I recommend using a roma tomato because they don’t have as many seeds in them as other tomatoes. You can use more or less Thai chili pepper, depending on how spicy you want this to be. If you don’t have chili peppers, you can adjust the amount of chili paste used.
- For the sauce:
- 1/2 tbsp fresh ginger
- 1/2 tbsp lemongrass paste
- juice from 1 lime
- 1 tbsp chili paste
- 1 tbsp vegan fish sauce
- 1 tbsp liquid aminos (or soy sauce)
- 1 tsp cane sugar
- thai chili pepper, to taste
- For the rice:
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup red onion, diced
- 2 cups chopped mushrooms, any kind
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 cups cooked rice (day old preferred)
- 1 roma tomato, cubed
- handful fresh cilantro
- scallions to top
1. Begin by making your tom yum sauce. Add all ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth. Set aside.
2. Add oil to a pot and heat over medium. Add onion and mushroom and sauté for a couple minutes.
3. Add garlic and sauté for another minute.
4. Stir in tom yum sauce to coat the veggies and bring out the flavors for a minute.
5. Add the cooked rice and tomatoes and mix until combined. Sauté for a few minutes.
6. Remove from heat and stir in cilantro. Top with scallions and serve.
Get more like this—Sign up for our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Lauren Sacerdote