Your body will thank you for this powerhouse smoothie bowl!
Native to Mexico and Central America, dragon fruit is a low-calorie tropical fruit, high in fiber and certainly packs a punch with a healthy concoction of vitamins and minerals. What’s more, the taste of the fruit can only be described as a combination of a kiwi and a pear. My mouth is watering already….
Antioxidant, Antioxidant, Antioxidant!
Put the word antioxidant in-front of anything and were all hyped up! Well, you’ll be happy to know that Dragon fruit contains several antioxidants to protect our cells from damage, yes ladies this includes keeping our skin clear and glowing from the inside out.
Now there are many reasons to include this powerhouse fruit into your diet, below are just a few.
• It is antioxidant rich so prevents cellular damage which may lead to inflammation and disease.
• Dragon fruit is packed with fiber, 7 grams of it making it an excellent choice for meeting your daily fiber needs.
• It’s packed with pre-biotics, in turn promotes growth of healthy bacteria in the gut.
• Boosts your immune system with its high supply of Vitamin C and carotenoids, plus a great source of magnesium, needed for over 600 biochemical reactions in the body!
Skin-Revitalising Dragon Fruit Smoothie Bowl
- 1 cup unsweetened nut milk (I opt for almond or cashew)
- 1 tablespoon maca powder
- 1 tablespoon plant-based collagen powder (optional)
- 1 cup frozen blueberries
- 1 whole fruit red dragon fruit
- 2 ripe bananas
- 1 cup granola (optional)
1. Cut the red dragon fruit in halves. Scoop the insides with a spoon and put the fruit in a blender.
2. To the blender, add banana & blueberries, nut milk, and any other supplements.
3. Blend until all ingredients are fully smooth.
4. Serve in a bowl topped with granola, sunflower seeds & crunchy peanut butter or any toppings of your choice.
Get more like this—Sign up for our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Victoria Bennett