I came up with this Fall Beauty Smoothie to celebrate the beautifying effects of whole foods: Carrots are packed with beta-carotene (a precursor for vitamin A), a potent ingredient for banishing blemishing and promoting healthy aging; green tea helps defend the body from free-radicals and inflammation; fresh ginger also fights inflammation, aids in digestion, and help manage blood sugar levels; and hemp and chis seeds provide a boost of healthy, skin-loving fats with a bit of protein and fiber to boot. Get ready to glow!
This colorful, sweet smoothie can also serve as a mood booster on those grey, short(er) days of autumn. Banana is a good source of tryptophan, an amino acid that produces 5-HTP, a compound that manufactures serotonin, an important mood regulator. Meanwhile, the theanine in green tea may contribute to a sense of calm. I hope you enjoy this healthy treat!
Raw Vegan Recipes: Carrot and Green Tea Fall Beauty Smoothie
- 2 small carrots
- 1 frozen banana (in chunks)
- 1-inch knob fresh ginger, peeled
- 1/2 teaspoon hemp seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon chia seeds
- pinch ground cinnamon
- 1 cup freshly made green tea, chilled
- small handful frozen berries (optional)
- small handful ice (optional)
1. Bring a cup of water to a boil and pour into a mug. Steep green tea in the water for 3-5 minutes before removing the tea bag.
2. Once somewhat cooled, decant the green tea into an airtight container and store in the refrigerator for a few hours or until cooled.
3. In a high-speed blender, add cooled green tea, carrot, frozen banana, hemp and chia seeds, ginger, and cinnamon (and berries and ice, if using). Blend until ingredients are perfectly puréed.
4. Serve immediately or store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to one day. Optional: garnish with extra cinnamon and chia and hemp seeds.
Photos: Mary Hood Luttrell