Nourishing Greek-Style Spaghetti Squash Bowl (GF Vegan)
- 16 oz extra-firm tofu
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tbsp miso
- 1/4 cup hot water
- 1 tbsp white vinegar
- 1 spaghetti squash
- 1/2 cup vegan pesto
- 1/2 cup kalamata olives
- 2–3 tomatoes
- 1/2 cup roasted red peppers
Prepare the Tofu
1. Place tofu in a rimmed dish, and put heavy plate or pan with cans on top to press out water from the tofu. Let the press sit for 30 minutes to an hour while you prepare the marinade.
2. In a shallow dish, add the Italian seasoning, nutritional yeast, garlic, miso, hot water, and white vinegar. Stir until well combined.
3. Cut the tofu into cubes, placing in the marinade until slightly covered. Let sit for 2–4 hours, or up to 24 hours for maximum flavor.
4. After marinating, bake at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 20–30 minutes, or until slightly crispy on the outside.
Bake the Squash
1. Cut your spaghetti squash in half, and take out the seeds in the middle of the squash. (Hint: you can roast the seeds and save them as a snack for later!). Poke the skin of the squash with a fork to allow for air to escape from the squash.
2. Add a pinch of salt and black pepper and a drizzle of olive oil to the squash interior, and bake in the oven at 400°F for 40 minutes to an hour, or until the skin is soft and tender.
Assemble the Bowl
1. While the squash is cooling, chop the tomatoes into chunks and slice the olives and roasted red peppers into slivers.
2. Heat a sauce pan and place the tomatoes, olives, and peppers in the pan, cooking until juicy and tender.
3. Stir the pesto (for an easy DIY vegan recipe, click here) into the spaghetti squash, and top with the mixed vegetables and tofu pieces.
Get more like this—Sign up for our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Dana Drosdick