This dish has everything you need for a nutritious, filling meal: a whole-grain starch, healthy fats, protein-rich beans, and plenty of raw and cooked veggie goodness. Because kale is such a hearty green, it combines well with warm foods without wilting. In fact, kale is so tough that its mouthfeel benefits from a bit of tenderizing with salt and massage--but all of that prep is worth is as kale is rich in iron and vitamin K. Add to that the healthy fats in avocado, lemon juice's vitamin C, nutritional yeast's B12--and you've got one superfood entree! This dish can be enjoyed for lunch or dinner, and the leftovers can be kept for the next day. I especially like the way this meal made me feel full and satiated but not overly-stuffed.
Hearty Massaged Kale Salad With Rice & Lightly Cooked Veggies
Recipe Type: Detox Hearty Entrees Salads
YIELDS 3-4 servings
- 1 cup dry rice
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 generous handful sugar snap peas
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 can (15/16 oz) chickpeas
- 5-6 large leaves kale
- 1 small avocado
- sprinkle of salt (for kale)
- juice of one lemon
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon all-purpose savory seasoning
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil of your choice (I used olive oil)
1. Prepare rice according to package instructions. (I boiled 2 1/2 cups of water with 1/2 teaspoon salt, added rice, lowered to simmer, covered, and cooked until water was absorbed, about 45 minutes.) 2. Prepare kale salad. Perfect kale leaves are firm and brightly colored. Leaves that are softening or yellowing are past their prime. Remove leaves from stems and compost stems or save them for a smoothie. Place de-stemmed leaves in a large bowl. Sprinkle very lightly with salt. Tear leaves into smaller pieces, rubbing the salt into them as you go. Next, massage avocado into leaves until they are evenly coated. Add lemon juice and nutritional yeast and toss. Set aside. 3. In a large pan, warm cooking oil over low-medium heat. Add onion, stirring occasionally for about five minutes or until it begins to become translucent. Add sugar snap peas and red bell pepper. Add all-purpose seasoning or a sprinkle of dried herbs of your choice. Sauté for another five minutes. 4. Add chickpeas to pan. Cook, stirring occasionally, for another 5 minutes. 5. Combine desired amount of cooked rice with cooked veggies. 6. Allow veggies to cool for 5-10 minutes. Then combine with kale salad in the salad bowl. 7. Taste for salt, pepper, and seasoning. 8. Serve and enjoy!
Related: Vegan Taco Salad With Blood Orange & Black Beans
Vegan Orange “Chicken” Stir-Fry With Chickpeas & Fresh Veggies
Avocado And Mango Caprese Salad
Get more like this—Subscribe to our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photos: Mary Hood Luttrell