Twice-Cooked Veggie Balls With Manchurian Sauce
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 1 (8 oz.) block silken tofu
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1/2 cup sliced red pepper
- 1 tbs. teriyaki sauce
- 1/3 cup soy sauce, divided
- 1 tbs. lemon juice
- 2/3 cup unbleached white flour
- 1/3 cup olive oil, divided
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 slice ginger
- 3 tbs. tomato sauce
- dash paprika
- dash garam masala
- dash black pepper
- 1 tbs. cornstarch
2. Pulse until all ingredients are finely grated.
3. Add teriyaki, 1 tbs. of soy and lemon, then blend until smooth.
3. Transfer to mixing bowl and add flour, whisking until fully blended.
4. Heat 1-2 tbs. of olive oil in pan over medium-high heat.
5. Drop veggie ball batter onto pan, about 1 tablespoon at a time.
6. Once they start to crisp up on one side, flip until equally crispy on the other side, then place onto separate plate.
7. Continue until all batter is used.
8. While your veggie balls cool, grate or finely chop garlic and ginger.
9. Combine remaining olive oil and remaining soy with tomato sauce and the grated garlic and ginger, then transfer all to your original pan and cook on high heat until it starts to bubble.
10. Reduce heat and add paprika, garam masala, black pepper and cornstarch, whisking until smooth.
11. Start rolling your veggie dumplings into balls in the palm of your hand, then drop them one by one into the pan of gravy.
12. Gently toss the balls in the sauce until all are evenly coated.
13. Continue to cook for about 5 more minutes, then remove from heat and serve.
Also by Quincy: 5 Spice Braised Eggplant Casserole With Mushroom & Vegan Beef
Related: Vegan Korean Tofu Dumplings Soup
Get more like this—Subscribe to our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photos: Quincy Malesovas