5 Spice Braised Eggplant Casserole With Mushroom & Vegan Beef
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon crushed garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon chilli powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon Chinese five spice
- 1/4 cup red onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup carrot, finely chopped
- 1 medium eggplant
- 1 (16. oz) pack pasta of choice (I used macaroni)
- 1 (8 oz.) punnet sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup vegan beef chunks
- 1 cup tomato sauce or puree
2. Add carrot, onion and a cup of water.
3. Mix well and set on the stove over high heat.
4. Once sauce starts to simmer, add eggplant and stir-fry for about 2 minutes.
5. Reduce heat, and cover for about 10 minutes.
6. Meanwhile, bring a pot of water to boil for your pasta.
7. Remove the lid from the eggplant and give it a stir, adding a bit more water if your sauce has evaporated.
8. Then, add mushrooms, vegan beef chunks and tomato sauce and increase heat slightly while stirring for about a minute.
9. Reduce heat to low and cover.
10. Meanwhile, add pasta to boiling water and cook according to package directions.
11. Once pasta is done cooking, drain and set aside. Remove the pan containing your veggie and beef sauce from the stove, then thoroughly mix pasta into it.
12. Serve and dig in!
Also by Quincy: Vegan High-Protein Japanese Brown Rice Bowl
Related: Vegan Miso Tofu Noodles
Get more like this—Subscribe to our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photos: Quincy Malesovas