Lion’s Head Soup (Chinese Vegan Meatball Soup)
- 2 tbsp grounded flax seeds (for your vegan "eggs")
- 6 tbsp water
- 1 block firm tofu (crumbled)
- 3x (depending on size) (any) mushrooms (small dices)
- 1/2 carrot (small dices)
- 1 thumb ginger (minced)
- 4 stalks spring onion (save some as toppings for later)
- 3 tbsp cornstarch
- 2 tsp five spices seasoning
- salt & pepper (for taste)
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 4-5 cups vegetable stock
- 6 napa cabbage leaves
- A handful of bean sprouts (as noodles if you want to replace carbs)
- 2 heads bok choy (cut into halves)
- 1/4 carrot (slices for soup broth)
- 1 thumb ginger (cut into coins for soup)
1. Prepare your vegan “eggs” by combining your grounded flax seeds and water. Set aside for later while preparing your next ingredients.
2. In a big mixing bowl, combine your crumbled tofu, mushroom dices, carrot dices, minced ginger, spring onion, and all of the dry ingredients (cornstarch, five spices, salt & pepper), flax eggs, 2 tbsp soy sauce and 1 tbsp sesame oil to make your vegan meatballs.
3. Then shape your marinated mixture into meatballs (I used 2x tablespoon to measure out a good size meatball) and set aside. (I like keeping them in the fridge so they firm up while I tidy up and prepare for the next step.)
4. Prepare your air fryer—place a sheet of baking paper inside the basket and place your vegan meatballs and lightly brush some sesame oil over them. I air fry each side for 5 minutes at 180–200°c until golden brown and crunchy. (You can also pan fry them instead if you don’t have an air fryer.)
5. While they are frying: in a pot, on low heat, simmer your vegetable broth and boil your vegetables (Napa cabbage leaves, bok choy, carrot slices and ginger coins).
6. Taste as you go—add your remaining 1 tbsp soy sauce and sesame oil to add a light flavor to your broth.
7. When your vegan meatballs are done and ready, transfer them into the soup to float on top of the cabbage leaves and top with extra spring onion for a pop of color and enjoy!
Get more like this—Sign up for our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Bel Faustino