Indian Sautéed Banana Peppers (Mirchi Sabji)
- 50 grams Oil
- 480 grams Banana Peppers
- 1/3–1/2 tsp Hing
- 1/4–1/2 tsp Red Chili Powder
- 1 scant tsp Turmeric
- 1.75 tsp Salt
- 100g Chickpea Flour
- 250 g Water
- To taste Lemon juice
1. Thoroughly wash the banana peppers. Slice lengthwise from the bottom to the stem, leaving them intact at the stem.
2. Heat oil over medium heat in a large pan. Add the banana peppers. Sauté until the skins become wrinkled and the banana peppers are soft. This will take about ten minutes.
3. Once the banana peppers are cooked, add hing, turmeric, chili powder, and salt. Stir and let the spices infuse the peppers for a minute or two.
4. Add the chickpea flour, stirring frequently. Once the peppers are coated in the chickpea flour, add the water. Stir until absorbed.
5. Continue cooking, stirring infrequently until the chickpea flour starts to dry. Add the lemon juice and cook the chickpea flour banana pepper mixture until it is thick and no longer creamy.
6. Serve with hot roti, daal, rice, and a side salad. Enjoy! 😊
Get more like this—Sign up for our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Jessi Ferguson