Healthy Sides: Vegan Parmesan Green Bean Casserole
- handful cashews
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- pinch salt
- pinch pepper
- 6 tablespoons breadcrumbs
- 1 cup green beans, trimmed
- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 1 small red onion
- 1/4 cup coconut milk
- 1/4 cup veggie stock
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- optional sliced almonds, to top
- optional fresh herbs
1. To create your parmesan cheese, add the cashews, nutritional yeast, salt, and pepper to a blender and pulse until gritty. 2. Heat a tablespoon of olive oil in a skillet over low heat. 3. Add the breadcrumbs and a couple tablespoons of your parmesan cheese to the skillet and continue slowly stirring the mixture around the pan until it browns. 4. Set aside until you are ready to top your casserole.
For the Green Bean Casserole:
1. Pre-heat the oven to 450°F. 2. Add the green beans, mushrooms, and onions to a bowl and toss with 2 tablespoons olive oil, salt, and pepper. 3. Spread on a baking sheet and roast for about 30 minutes, until soft. 4. While the vegetables are roasting, sauté the garlic in a skillet with 2 tablespoons of olive oil for about a minute and slowly add in the vegetable stock, coconut milk, and flour. Simmer on low until the mixture bubbles and thickens. 5. Remove the roasted vegetables from the oven and add to a baking dish. Pour the sauce from the skillet over the vegetables and top with the vegan parmesan topping. 6. Return to the oven and bake for another 5-10 minutes. Remove from oven, top with almonds and fresh herbs (I used oregano) and serve.
Also by Lauren: Vegan Tempeh Fish & Chips with Tartar
Related: Creamy Sundried Tomato Pasta Sauce
Get more like this—Subscribe to our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Lauren Sacerdote