This zesty, vegan Hearty Farro and Carrot Salad comes together quickly, making it perfect for a satisfying weeknight meal. The fun combinations of textures and flavors may also help you escape a cooking rut!
I first made this meal for a potluck at a friend’s house. Although the party didn’t have a particular theme, I think everyone was craving fun, summery food, and this colorful dish fit right in. The dish is not without health benefits, either. Cilantro is rich in minerals and helps chelate heavy metals from the body. Meanwhile, vitamin-C packed serrano peppers are associated with feelings of increased energy and vitality–which is just what I need when these humid, warm days make me feel like I’m wilting!
A quick tip about preparing the peppers: I recommend handling the peppers with gloves when you are chopping them and removing the seeds. In the past, I’ve gone without gloves and washed my hand immediately afterwards, but my hands still burned for the rest of the day!
This recipe is adapted from a grilled corn salad in My New Roots by Sarah Britton. This book is fabulous. I hope you check it out!
Hearty Carrot and Farro Salad
- 2 cups farro (dry)
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon lime zest
- 1 teaspoon coconut nectar (of liquid sweetener of choice)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 2-3 carrots, sliced thinly
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 serrano pepper
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced
- 1 handful cilantro, roughly chopped
- 1 cup purple cabbage, thinly sliced
1. Prepare the farro. Add farro to a medium saucepan, cover with water, bring to a boil, and then reduce to a simmer. Add 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Simmer (while covered) for 30 minutes or until all of the water is absorbed and the farro is tender and fluffy.
2. While the farro is cooking, prepare the dressing. In a high-speed blender, process the lime juice, coconut nectar, 1/2 teaspoon salt, smoked paprika, cumin, 1/2 serrano pepper (de-seeded), and olive oil. Set aside.
3. Add coconut oil to a skillet and heat over medium heat. Add shallots and stir for 2-3 minutes. Add carrot slices, allowing them to soften and slightly brown for ten minutes. Stir occasionally. Add purple cabbage. Toss for a few minutes until slightly softened. Remove from heat.
4. In a medium-sized bowl, add the sautéed veggies, dressing, lime zest, and cilantro. Toss to combine. Serve and enjoy!
Related: Chickpea Salad with Polenta Croutons
Get more like this—Subscribe to our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photos: Mary Hood Luttrell