The base is a sponge cake but I made it in a square shaped cake form so I could slice them up later into bars so I can grab a bite whenever I felt so.
You can use basically any fruits on top, I decided to go with jarred peaches, blueberries and strawberries for this one. Very refreshing on a hot day.
GF Vegan Summer Fruit Cake Bars
- 3 cups rice flour
- 1 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cups carbonated water
- 2/3 cup neutral-flavored oil
- 1 tbsp white vinegar
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 20 g agar agar
- 150 ml fatty coconut cream
- over the top of the cake fruits of your choice
- 200 g frozen strawberries
- 200 ml water
- 12 g carrageenan based cake glaze
- 250 ml orange juice
- 2 tbsp sugar
1. Preheat your oven to 190°C. You will turn it down to 170 once the cake goes in.
2. Prepare the cake pan by spraying them will oil and place a cutout circle of parchment paper at the bottom of the pan or use a silicone form as I did.
3. Place the dry ingredients (flour, sugar, salt, baking soda) in a large bowl and whisk them together.
4. Add the oil, vanilla, and 1/2 of the carbonated water to the dry ingredients and stir with a whisk until you have a smooth thick batter.
5. Stir in the remaining carbonated water and the vinegar and stir again just enough to form a smooth batter. Make sure you don’t over mix.
6. Pour into the prepared cake pans.
7. Bake it in the oven for about 30–35 mins until the top center appears dry and springs back up when touched. Allow it to cool for 30 minutes in the cake pan before moving to the next step.
8. Meanwhile whisk together the fatty coconut milk with 10 g of agar agar and pour it over the sponge cake once it has cooled down. Even it out with a spatula and place it in the fridge to set.
9. In a blender purée the frozen strawberries, if too thick add a little water to it. Once nice and creamy mix in with 10 g of agar agar and spread it over the top of the set coconut cream on the sponge cake.
10. Decorate it with whole or chopped fruits of your choice.
11. Stir together the cake glaze with the orange juice, stir until it is completely dissolved. Cook it for about a minute and pour it over the fruits on your cake.
12. Leave it in the fridge to set. Once done slice it up into bars.
Get more like this—Sign up for our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Imola Toth