I love classic bruschetta so much; the flavors are so simple and it's perfect for a quick meal. The addition of butterbeans gives the dish some protein and will keep you fuller longer. The butterbean and tomato salad is great without the toast too. Serve it as part of a BBQ spread for a refreshing accompaniment; it is also a great addition to a Buddha bowl.
It is tomato season here in the U.K. and they are so bright and delicious I knew I had to make a recipe with them. This recipe combines these fresh tomatoes with sun-dried tomatoes. The sun-dried tomatoes add another layer of flavor as they are more concentrated. They add an umami flavor to this dish and also give a wonderful texture. I make the most of the sun-dried tomatoes by using the oil from the jar as the dressing for the beans. My sun-dried tomatoes came with herbs and garlic, which add an extra layer to this bruschetta.
I have used tinned butterbeans here for ease but you can use dried too. If you are using tinned make sure you save the bean liquid, known as aquafaba, and bake yourself something delicious.
Vegan Butterbean Bruschetta
- 2 Salad Tomatoes
- 4 Sun Dried Tomatoes
- 1 tin Butterbeans
- 4 slices Bread
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Black Pepper
- 2 teaspoons Oil from the sun dried tomatoes jar
- 1 teaspoon Red Wine Vinegar
- 1 clove Garlic
- 2 teaspoons Olive Oil
1. Chop the salad tomatoes and sun-dried tomatoes and place into a large bowl.
2. Drain and rinse the butterbeans and add to the bowl with the tomatoes.
3. Add the oil from the sun-dried tomatoes, salt, pepper and vinegar to the bowl and mix to combine.
4. Next, prepare the bread.
5. Toast the bread until it is lightly golden all over, cut the garlic clove in half and rub straight onto the toast.
6. Drizzle half the olive oil over the garlic toast.
7. Put the toast on a plate and top with the butterbeans, add a crack of black pepper and the rest of the olive oil.
Also by Katharine: Vegan Raspberry Lemon Muffins
Get more like this—Sign up for our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Katharine Hopkins