There’s two types of vegan cheese in these sandwiches making them extra delicious. Get a good even crisp on the bread so every bite has that crunchy cheesy good feeling we are all looking for!
You can use different kind of cheese such as vegan cheddar or add some extra greens like arugula for a more picante taste.
The garlic aioli in the recipe is totally optional for the sandwich, but you could easily put vegan mayonnaise on the sandwiches as well and that would be tasty too! I always make much more of the aioli and I love to dip my sandwiches in it, just so good!
GF Vegan Jackfruit Kimchi Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- 4 tbs vegan creamer or plain vegan yogurt
- 1 ts garlic powder
- 1 ts lemon juice
- 1/4 ts salt
- 1/2 cup vegan mozzarella shreds
- 1/2 cup vegan truffle cheese shreds
- 1 cup leftover seasoned jackfruit
- 4 pieces gluten free multi grain bread
- to spread on breads vegan butter or margarine
- 1/2 cup rough chopped vegan friendly kimchi
For the garlic aiol:
1. Combine vegan creamer, garlic powder, salt and lemon juice in a bowl or jar until well combined. Refrigerate until ready to use.
To prepare the sandwiches:
2. Heat a large non-stick or cast iron pan over medium-low heat.
3. Butter one side of each slice of bread. On the other side of each slice spread the garlic aioli.
4. I like to assemble the sandwiches in the pan to prevent too much spillage when transferring it from the cutting board into the pan.
5. Lay 1 slice of bread, butter side down, in the pan.
6. Add the cheese shreds so it covers the entire surface. Top with half of the kimchi and the jackfruit. Sprinkle more cheese shreds on top, but less than the first portion you put down. Top with the other slice of bread, butter side up.
7. Place a lid over the pan and reduce heat to low.
8. You’ll cook it on the first side for about 6 minutes. Have the heat low so that it cooks slowly, melting the cheese and warming the entire middle of the sandwich but not burning the outside of the bread.
9. Flip the sandwich using a large flat spatula, cover with the lid, and cook the other side for about 4 to 5 minutes or until nice and golden brown.
10. Remove the sandwich to a cutting board and let it rest before slicing in half.
11. Assemble and cook the other sandwich.
Get more like this—Sign up for our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Imola Toth